Parts of Speech denote the classification of the main function of words in English language. Though the linguists identify various categories of words classification, eight parts of speech are commonly used in the academic community and explained below.
1. Nouns that can to refer to a person, place, thing, quality, or action;
2. Pronouns which could substitute any noun;
3. Adjectives that modify or give more information about a noun;
4. Verbs that refers to an action or existence
5. Adverbs that describe either a verb, an adjective or another adverb;
6. Prepositions that show the relationship among other words in a sentence
7. Conjunctions which connect words, phrases, clauses or sentences
8. Interjections that are words like Alas, ouch, really, wow etc to show surprise
The above parts of speech are further arranged into even more detailed groups to illustrate their functions in English grammar.